Living and life in Tonga has many different aspects, and in these pages we’re
exploring some of the basic life choices.
- Me'akai[ 'Otai | Lu Sipi | 'Ota | 'Umu | coconut | Veihalo | ]
Me’akai or Food, or Things to eat, is a passion for most Tongans. We love to eat and have a culture that spends a significant amount of it’s valued activities around meals.
The meal provided for any activity, is a central part of the value of that activity.
You can be forgiven a bad service, through the provision of a good meal.
- Faito'oBefore western medicine, the field medicine was the accumulated knowledge passed down through master and disciple, or mother and daughter (father and son.)
Even the most passionate, anti ‘vodoo’ magic Tongan will have to suffer the reality that you’re going to have to drink that ‘black’ magic medicine or have it rubbed over your skin. It’s just part of the every day life of people although Tonga has generous medical services, it can’t afford everything for everybody.
- Fishing[ Deep Sea | Fangota | Game Fishing | ]
The land and oceans are full of resources for our people.
Fishing is a way of life for many, but we are also the caretakers of this gift.
There is all sorts of fishing in Tonga, from the fish for the family table to fishing for profit, and fishing for fun.
Deep SeaWe now have amazing videos (reality television) of the struggles of fishermen in their big boats fighting the big bad ocean.
- KavaIf you wanted an impression of how significant Kava is to Tonga, and Pacific Islanders, a simple measure is to query Kava Tonga
on Social Media or Video, where Tongans freely publish activities they are involved with.
Like the ngatu, Kava is involved in all parts of Tongan life.
Inheritance Legend|Lore Traditions|Ceremonies Birthdays Graduation Formal Gatherings Social Gatherings [Weddings]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WUfZIuCXjM) Funeral Kava is part of significant studies, supporting it’s role and misrepresenting its value.
- Mapu-mei he-ngaluMapu Mei He Ngalu brings to the web Tongan language and cultural interpretations.
It is part of many experiments of Tongan Language speakers of publishing Tonga Language content.
Tonga Language Services provided by this site include a Font Collection supporting the Tonga accented characterset and Keyboard macros to improve word-processing Tongan documents.
Some have begun the task of using video for Language.
With the proliferation of publishing tools, and skilled individuals, it becomes more difficult to have gatekeepers of the knowledge and traditions.
- NgatuNgatu or Siapo|Tapa|Kapa|Masi|‘Ote Cloth is produced on many islands in the South Pacific and has particular significance for Tongans and the diaspora.
On any given week-day, the air resonates with the sounds of Ngatu making
foeduck has a 5 part series that covers the history and production process.
The Coconet TV gives us a summary of the importance of Ngatu to Tongans, and the life of a Ngatu in development.